It is often said that a picture can convey a thousand words and there is much truth in this adage. The modern world in which we live is increasingly preoccupied with signs and symbols. Advertisements, films and the Internet have become more and more important as mediums in which we are assaulted with incitements from manufacturers directing us to buy their products. Generic icons are also used to signify familiar concepts such as toilets. Through the conformity of symbol used to identify these areas, their use is facilitated even for those who may not understand English.

According to recent studies, up to ninety percent of our communication is non-verbal, a fact which may account to our high susceptibility for visually orientated advertising whether explicit or subliminal and which is exploited by companies and manufacturers. Symbols and logos have become associated with particular companies and their conspicuous display allows companies to manipulate us into advertising their products for free.

The influence of America, and of Hollywood in particular, is of colossal proportions in our world. The pressure to adhere to the stereotypes presented to us is great, as is shown by the large numbers of teenaged girls who suffer from anorexia. The symbols of Coca-Cola and McDonald’s are known throughout the world and associated with a very particular variety of product which is carefully “quality controlled” to ensure complete conformity across the world – something which modern consumers appear to value over actual quality.

Symbols and signs help people to find direction in our hectic world. As we try to fit more and more into each day, we increasingly need to compress the information that is hurled at us into something more easily digestible. It is this that symbols can accomplish, allowing us to assimilate the barrage of details with which we are assailed each day.