K o R n -- U N T o U c H A B L e S

Written by Korn
Produced by Michael Beinhorn
Released on June 11, 2002
Running length of 60 minutes, 74 seconds


Introduction

Issues wasn't very popular amongst the critics. Granted, some liked it, but a lot of people complained about how it was released just over a year after their previous album, the platinum selling Follow The Leader. Because of this, people started to notice a strange pattern in Korn's albums - the odd numbered ones were the best. This raised people's hopes on Korn's fifth album, but there was one problem - the amount of hype surrounding the album was insane. But what would you expect from two years of complete media blackout? Issues was a hard act to follow.

Thank GOD they didn't screw up.

Untouchables is Korn's fifth album, and arguably their most radical to date. While their first single Here to Stay wasn't very good, the rest of the album certainly lives up to the hype. With more of a melodic approach to their music, as well as vocalist Jonathan Davis singing instead of shouting himself hoarse, Korn have managed to create what seems to be their best record so far.

On this album, there are more signs of experimentation, especially when Jon sings. The music does sound a lot more raw, much like their Self-titled debut was. The anger is still present, but their song-writing ability has obviously matured and grown into something quite extraordinary. While songs like Wake Up Hate keep the fast paced rampage of old Korn, newer tracks like Alone I Break show that they have the ability to do mellow songs. I know a few people who didn't like it, as it is a LOT different from previous work. But while Issues was a large step from Follow The Leader, Untouchables is a bloody great big moon leap from Issues. To get the most out of this album, you have to treat it as something new altogether, not another Korn album. It really is that different.

Track Listing:

  1. Here to Stay
  2. Make Believe
  3. Blame
  4. Hollow Life
  5. Bottled Up Inside
  6. Thoughtless
  7. Hating
  8. One More Time
  9. Alone I Break
  10. Embrace
  11. Beat It Upright
  12. Wake Up Hate
  13. I'm Hiding
  14. No One's There

For reference, Korn are:

  1. Jonathan Davis - Vocals
  2. Munky - Guitar
  3. Head - Guitar
  4. Fieldy - Bass
  5. David Silveria - Drums

Sleeve Art

This sleeve art is quite hard to analyze. The only thing I can think of is that the children depicted on the cover are Korn fans. Coupled with the Untouchables logo, I could guess that this could be, metaphorically, Korn's personal army of some sort. They are all beaten up around the face, so matter how hard it gets. The inside shows pictures of the said kids, with the song titles placed on top of them, which can only made out in the right light. I can't figure this bit out, it's probably just meant to look cool.

bluescreen says re: Untouchables, the title is a reference to the caste system in India. The kids on the album cover are "untouchables"

Or I could just be over-analyzing. Go figure.

Song Meanings

Note: If you would like to contribute your feelings toward any of these songs, or you think I may be wrong, /msg me and I'll add it.

  1. Here To Stay
    I think this is quite obvious really. Seeing as Korn have been away for such a long time, Jon states how Korn are the leaders of the pack and are Here to Stay. Everyone else is just a cheap rip-off, and how the record companies suck as well. Not even that good a song anyway. "for what's inside awaking / Oh God, I'm not a whore / You've taken everything and oh I can not give anymore". .
  2. Make Believe
    This seems to be how Jon has a rough time in the music business, and how he can only cope because of his fans and his family. "Waiting all this time / I've got nothing to hold on / But the faces of my life / I can see before I'm gone".
  3. Blame
    I think Jon is trying to say that when he looks back at what he used to be, he really regrets it and is mad at himself for being that way, blaming himself all the time. "Joking and hoping, revolting / All that shit that's who you are / Hoping, and scolding, revolving / Peel it back, reveal the scar".
  4. Hollow Life
    This could be how Jon has everything he ever wanted, but something still seems missing. And it doesn't seem about just himself, but possible the entire human race, and how corrupt it has become. "Is there ever any wonder / Why we look to the sky / Searching space / Asking why? / All alone / Where is God? / Looking down / We don't know".
  5. Bottled Up inside
    This is about how people keep all their feelings bottled up inside, and let it out on some unforgiving person. This seems to be another song about Jon being called a fag and such in high school. "I'll take this time / To let out what’s inside / Cause I will break / Sometimes I wish you'd die".
  6. Thoughtless
    One of the best songs on the album. This is about how Jon gets bullied and beaten up during High School and such. But he also says that he would love to do the same to them, so they would know what it's like. "Why are you trying to make fun of me? / You think it's funny? / What the fuck you think it's doing to me? / You take your turn lashing out at me / I want you crying with your dirty ass in front of me".
  7. Hating
    I think this is about how Jon sometimes hates his new life, and how empty it feels. He tries to express his anger through music, but sometimes it just isn't enough for him. "All my feelings have been eating all of me / Feed inside / Is there something wrong with me?".
  8. One More Time
    I think this is another one of their songs about how Jon's life doesn't live up to his expectations, and how he sometimes doesn't have the will to go on. "Caught in the corners of my mind / Beginning over one more time / Taking me over / Taking all that's mine / One more time".
  9. Alone I Break
    This song is about Jon's acceptance of getting old, and how life doesn't seen as long as he thought it did. He asks himself if he has lived life the way he want's to, and what sort of impression he wants to leave behind. "I will make it go away / Can't be here no more / Seems this is the only way / I will soon be gone".
  10. Embrace
    This is about Jon's hate bottled up inside, and it sometimes seems to take control of him and stops him from continuing with his life. He also explains how death seems just around the corner for him. "We had our chance to run / And now I cannot face / We're going all the way / And now the deaths embrace".
  11. Beat It Upright
    This is quite strange. Maybe it's a tribute to his porn star girlfriend. Or maybe he's making fun of people who call him fag. Thoughts are very welcome. "Ass up high / Make a motherfucker cry / It's so good that I could die / Help me stay alive".
  12. Wake Up Hate
    I think this is just Jon letting out all his anger, and seems to be talking to all the people who made fun of him and didn't give him respect and such. This is a very cool, fast-paced song. "I've had to suffer / I cannot wait for more / No loving and no praying / All my hate is for the taking".
  13. I'm Hiding
    This seems to share the same meaning as Alone I Break, i.e. Jon excepting old age. However, he also says that he's not ready to quit yet as he has a lot of anger still inside of him, and he's going to keep going until he feels okay that he's finished. "I can't feel my heart / But I feel the shame / Nothing left to say / Soon I'll fade away".
  14. No One's There
    This is the same thing yet again, coming to terms with age, and not being ready to quit yet. This is definitely the best song on the album, with a great bit near the end where Jon's voice escalates more and more. "You’ve got to feel your hunger / And stop fucking with my mind / I know it's time to leave these places far behind".

RECOMMENDED TRACKS

  1. Blame
  2. Thoughtless
  3. Wake Up Hate
  4. No One's There

While the Korn logo on the front of this album will put a lot of people off from buying it, and some people may not like it at first, I beg you to listen to it a number of times. This is the only way to appreciate it (I know this from experience). It's a good album darned it! And their best yet.and this probably shows Korn's determination to carry on,


Produced by Michael Beinhorn
Recorded by Frank Filipetti
Mixed by Andy Wallace
Cover art by Eric White

Sources:
http://www.songmeanings.net
http://www.gotkorn.com

http://www.korn.com