Biblical Reconstructionism is a religious philosophy embraced by a lunatic fringe of Christianity. Reconstructionism arose out of conservative Presbyterianism sometime in the 1970s. Its main goal is to peacefully convert the laws of the United States into Mosaic Law, or law derived from the books of the Old Testament (such as Exodus, Leviticus, and Deuteronomy. What does this mean? Well, in a society that embraces Biblical Reconstructionism:

-GAYS AND LESBIANS WOULD BE EXECUTED. Even though most religious scholars claim that the Hebrew body of laws established in Leviticus was declared void upon the arrival of Jesus on Earth, Biblical Reconstructionists still believe that the laws hold meaning. Leviticus 20:13 claims that if a man "lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death; their blood is upon them." (1) One wonders what a Biblical Reconstructionist society will do about the laws in Leviticus that ban eating pork and shellfish, wearing clothing of more than one fabric, or shaving and getting their hair cut.

-WOMEN WOULD HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHTS. Even in Baptist and Pentecostal churches, which appear surprisingly moderate when compared to Biblical Reconstructionism, feminism is looked down upon, and preachers claim that a woman's rightful position is serving her husband. Women in Biblical Reconstructionist societies are as well off as women under the Taliban: they would have no right to an education, no right to vote, and no right to own any property of their own.

-ANY BRANCH OF RELIGION THAT DIFFERS FROM BIBLICAL RECONSTRUCTIONISM WOULD BE CRUSHED UNDERFOOT. Biblical Reconstructionists believe that if a person does not swear to uphold Mosaic Law (the laws of the Old Testament), then they are in violation of the Second Commandment ("Thou shalt not have other idols before me"), and is worthy of being put to death. Despite the fact that Orthodox Judaism holds similar respect for the laws as Biblical Reconstructionism does, Jews must switch over to Christianity, as many Biblical Reconstructionists view Jewish religious practice as tantamount to Satan worship.

-SLAVERY WOULD BE REINTRODUCED. During the 19th century, Southern preachers claimed that the Bible provided evidence that God was in favor of slavery. In fact, there are passages in Exodus where slavery is mentioned, and usually in a positive connotation. It is likely that, in a Biblical Reconstructionist society, slavery would be a part of life.

There are many other esoteric laws of the Old Testament that would make up the crux of a Biblical Reconstructionist society's laws. Abortions would be made illegal, the prison system would be abolished in favor of just restitution and capital punishment, and income taxes would be abolished.(2)

To get an idea of what a Biblical Reconstructionist society might be like for a person living in it, read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. To get an idea of what a loony a Biblical Reconstructionist sounds like, read up on such Reconstructionist as David Chilton, Andrew Salidin, and Fred Phelps.

Footnotes

(1) The Catholic Youth Bible. Book of Leviticus.

(2) ReligiousTolerance.Org. "Christian Reconstructionism, Dominion Theology, and Theonomy." http://www.religioustolerance.org/reconstr.htm