The Coup's 4th album, Party Music, is now due in stores on November 6, 2001, delayed two months for very unfortunate reasons. Embarrassingly, the proposed design for the cover artwork originally featured group member Boots Riley holding a detonator in front of the exploding World Trade Center. Clearly, the group are no longer going ahead with this choice of design, and a spokesperson for the band said the new cover will "probably bear the band's logo".

The artwork for the upcoming album was done about two months before the disaster on September 11, 2001, and was pulled from the band's website immediately following the breaking news that day. The record also worringly features a single called 5 Million Ways to Kill a CEO, reflecting the group's generally anti-capitalist standpoint.

Boots has made a statement, in his defense he says:

"All life is precious and this tremendous tragedy is by no means taken lightly by The Coup ... This is a very unfortunate coincidence and my condolences go out to the families and friends of the victims."

The record company Ark 75's spokesperson Toni Isabella said:

"The Coup are deeply saddened by this horrible tragedy ... The Coup advocates change, but change through peaceful means, never through violence."

credits:
CNN, Washington Post, fabulamag.com