This is a song from the 2001 Baz Luhrman musical tragic comedy "Moulin Rouge". I won't give away any of the plot of Moulin Rouge in this writeup intentionally, but it is possible that reading the lyrics to this song will be a minute spoiler, and in a way, as soon as Jacek Koman opens his mouth to sing, the surprise of what tune he is singing is part of what makes this song amazing.




Okay, don't say I didn't warn you. This one starts off with a classical guitar picked by Jose Feliciano himself, builds in trembling violins, a faintly massaged piano, and a section of strings being picked. The rhythm of the tango is clear from the first, but when Jacek Koman, playing the narcoleptic Argentinian, stops his muttering and sings--practically growls--that first line like a grizzly baritone possessed by Lucifer, it is clear: this is not The Police you're listening to, and Sting is not making an appearance. Ewan McGregor also gets a chance to show off his pipes, hitting beautifully high notes that accent the top of his range. Just when you thought you'd heard it all, everyone comes in together, a chorus overlaying Ewan McGregor's passionate wide-open high notes, and Jacek Koman's rumbling voice driving underneath it. A bass drum reminiscent of When the Levee Breaks pounds furiously, bringing the song to a anxious conclusion--though all the characters have poured out their souls, nothing is resolved, and that is as it should be.


Lyrics:
Narcoleptic Argentinian (NA hereafter):
            (mutters)
...will drive you, will drive you, will drive you... MAD!
            (sings)
   Ro-o-o-o-o-oxanne!  You don't have to put on that red light.
   Walk the streets for money, you don't care if it's wrong or if it is right.
   Ro-o-o-o-o-oxanne!  You don't have to wear that dress tonight.
   Roxanne, you don't have to sell your body to the night!

                          Christian:
                          His eyes, upon your face,
                          His hand, upon your hand,
                          His lips caress your skin:
                          It's more than I can stand!
NA & chorus: Roxanne!
                          Why does my heart cry
NA & chorus: Roxanne!   
                          Feelings I can't fight?
                          Love me to leave me, 
                           but just don't deceive me,
                            and please, believe me
                             when I say, "I love you!"

{{A brief interlude spoken in Spanish, possibly by Jose Feliciano - clarification by /msg appreciated}}

NA: Roxanne, you don't have to put on the red light,
                     Christian:Why does my heart cry
                               feelings I can't fight?
    you don't have to wear that dress tonight.
    Roxanne, you don't have to put on the red light,
     CHORUS: Why does my heart cry
             feelings I can't fight?
    Roxanne, you don't have to wear that dress tonight!
   ROXANNE!
                                   Please! Please!