Dear Donatello,

So. So so. That was quite a period of silence there, no? Almost two years, I'm thinking. A lot happens in two years... when I got your number from your sister, I have to confess; I was rather afraid that you'd have changed, that you'd have grown up. Not to suggest that I thought you were immature, oh no, just that some people change so drastically that they hardly seem to be the same person anymore.

I was glad you hadn't. I'm sure you've changed, yes. Two years is too long not to have changed. But you're still writing, you still have your sense of humor, and you still have that contagious laugh. I missed your laugh. And speaking of your writing, I ought to introduce you to folks around here sometime. They're a nice enough bunch, if you follow the rules and write well. It's a community, everything is. I think you'd like it.

You have questions, I'm sure, about where I went during those two years. I doubt very much that your family told you, and I'm not sure that I blame them. That would be an interesting conversation, one that I'm not entirely unwilling to have, but you'll have to respect that it's a conversation I'd rather have face to face, which may mean that it will be a long time coming. Or maybe not, who knows how these sorts of things will end up working out.

Enough on that for now. You're special, Donnie, very much so. I only know a few people of your caliber. The world, you see, has this idea of what's right and wrong, what's acceptable, what's "normal." I can leave my socks on and still use my digits to count the number of people I know who disagree with what the world says and do their own thing. They're invigorating, and you're right up there with them. As for me... I must regrettably say that I let the world dictate me for a number of years. I'm on my way back, but it's a long road to ascend. I'd recommend you not climb it if you can help it.

That's all for now, Donnie. We'll talk more later. As the Turtles would say...

COWABUNGA!
me