From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California, I'm Jerry Dunphy.


Jerry Dunphy (b. 1922; d. May 20, 2002) was a household name in Los Angeles right up until his death resulting from his 3rd heart attack. He became a Los Angeles area newscaster in 1960, when he join KNXT, now KCBS (Channel 2) and worked there until switching to KABC (Channel 7) in 1975. Fourteen years later, in 1989 he moved to KCAL (Channel 9) where he worked until his death.

Dunphy, a midwesterner, earned his journalism degree from the University of Wisconsin. He went on to Northwestern University, where he did graduate work. He was also the first journalist to interview President Richard M. Nixon following his resignation. In 1983 he was shot in the arm and neck and nearly killed when would-be robbers attacked him and makeup artist Sandra Marshall when they were returning to KABC studios for the 11 PM newscast.

I remember seeing this man on TV when I was a child. He was always someone I expected to be on at least 1 newscast I flipped to. It's going to be really awkward to see the news without him for a while. Also, I find it interesting that the anchorman, Kent Brockman, on The Simpsons is apparently modeled after him.