The R.M.S. Aquitania was the last ship completed for Cunard's 3 ship North Atlantic service in the early part of the 20th century (The other 2 were the Mauritania and the Lusitania). Her maiden voyage was on May 30, 1914 and had barely begun service when the British Admrality requesitioned her for conversion into a auxilary cruiser.
She was put into military service on August 7th and subsequently collided with another vessel on her 2nd voyage where she was declared too large to be a cruiser. She was then converted into a troopship, and eventually a hospital ship.
After the war the Admrality returned her to Cunard in November 1919 and was returned to passenger service in July of the following year.
The Aquitania was well recieved and from 1920 till the outbreak of World War II she was one of the favorites of the North Atlantic trade, and the most beautiful of the original trio.
During the war the Aquitania was a troopship transfering Canadian, New Zealand, and Australian troops across the oceans.
On April 1st, 1948 she was released by the Admiralty back to Cunard. After a quick refit for passenger service, the Canadian government chartered the ship to carry emigrants from Southampton to Halifax. The contract was renewed in 1949 and when it was fulfilled in December 1949 Cunard announced that Aquitania was to be withdrawn from service. She was the last four stacker left, having been the last built for the Atlantic. The Aquitania's engine telegraphs rang down for the last time on January 9th, 1950.