eight

Haruhi Suzumiya (涼宮ハルヒ) is a Japanese media franchise consisting of nine light novels, two manga series, three anime series, and various video games and merchandise, which all centre around the titular high school girl and her unofficial school club, the SOS Brigade (SOS団, Spreading Excitement all Over the World with the Haruhi Suzumiya Brigade). The novels and the original broadcast of the first season of the anime are notable in that the order in which they are released is not the same as the order in which events take place. The Haruhi Suzumiya fandom is known as Haruhiism.

Most of these links point to empty/non-existent nodes, so hopefully this writeup will lead to those being filled in one by one.

Characters

SOS Brigade

Haruhi Suzumiya (涼宮ハルヒ) - Brigade leader
Voiced by Aya Hirano / Wendee Lee.
Kyon (キョン) - peon
Voiced by Tomokazu Sugita / Crispin Freeman.
Mikuru Asahina (朝比奈みくる) - member
Voiced by Yuuko Gotou / Stephanie Sheh.
Yuki Nagato (長門有希) - member
Voiced by Minori Chihara / Michelle Ruff.
Itsuki Koizumi (古泉一樹) - member
Voiced by Daisuke Ono / Johnny Yong Bosch.

Other North High students

Light novels

Written by Nagaru Tanigawa, illustrated by Noizi Ito, published by Kadokawa Shoten in Japan and by Little, Brown Books in North America.

  1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - June 6, 2003 JP / May 7, 2009 EN
  2. The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya - September 30, 2003 JP / October 1, 2009 EN
  3. The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya - December 27, 2003 JP / July 1, 2010 EN
    1. "The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya"
    2. "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody"
    3. "Mystérique Sign"
    4. "Remote Island Syndrome"
  4. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - July 31, 2004 JP / November 2, 2010 EN
  5. The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya - October 1, 2004 / July 7, 2011 EN
    1. "Endless Eight"
    2. "The Day of Sagittarius"
    3. "Snowy Mountain Syndrome"
  6. The Disturbance of Haruhi Suzumiya - March 21, 2005 JP
    1. "Live Alive"
    2. "The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru Episode 00"
    3. "Charmed at First Sight LOVER"
    4. "Where did the Cat Go?"
    5. "The Melancholy of Mikuru Asahina"
  7. The Scheme of Haruhi Suzumiya - August 31, 2005 JP
  8. The Anger of Haruhi Suzumiya - May 1, 2006 JP
    1. "Editor-in-Chief★Straight Ahead!"
    2. "Wandering Shadow"
  9. The Dissociation of Haruhi Suzumiya - April 1, 2007 JP
  10. The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya - May 25, 2011

Anime

Produced by Kyoto Animation.

  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    • First season: 14 episodes. Includes stories from the first, third, fifth, and sixth novels.
    • Second season: 14 episodes. Includes stories from the second, third, and fifth novels.
    • Movie: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. Based on the novel of the same name.
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya
  • Nyoro~n Churuya-san

Haruhi

Haruhi Suzumiya is, naturally, the main character. On the first day of class at North High, she introduces herself: "My name is Haruhi Suzumiya. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time-travellers, sliders, or espers here, come join me. That is all."

After joining every school club and finding them all boring, Kyon inadvertently gives her the idea to create her own club. She takes over the Literature Club's room, and absorbs its only member, Yuki Nagato into her club. She then kidnaps a second-year student, Mikuru Asahina, and recruits a "mysterious transfer student" as she calls him, Itsuki Koizumi. Haruhi names her club the SOS Brigade. Although she changes the purpose of the brigade often to fit whatever activities she wants to do, one goal is to find aliens, time-travellers, sliders, espers, and other paranormal phenomena. What she does not know is that Yuki is an alien, Mikuru is a time-traveller, and Itsuki is an esper. They all have the same mission from their respective organizations: to observe Haruhi.

The Integrated Data Thought Entity, the super-advanced data-based alien(s) that created Yuki, believe Haruhi to be a means of auto-evolution. The future humans who sent Mikuru back in time believe Haruhi is a time-warp. The Agency/The Organization of espers that Itsuki works for believe that she is a god. These beliefs stem from the fact that Haruhi has the ability to spontaneously create new data from nothing, that time travel prior to a certain event involving Haruhi three years ago is not possible, and that Haruhi's emotions manifest themselves as neon giants in an alternate reality which only espers have access to, known as "Closed Space".


Useful links


endless