Though I've lived in college towns where the fraternities and sororities worked extremely well and behaved in fairly non-stereotypical ways, I've also been able to compile some funny stories about at least one Evil Frat... Pull up a chair, young 'uns, whilst I spins y'all a yarn...

A few years ago, I attended college at the University of North Texas in Denton. It's a decent school, but the fraternity and sorority system is fairly out-of-control -- they have way too many Greek organizations under probation because they can't seem to stop hazing pledges (including a sorority that got busted three years in a row 'cause they thought it was their sacred duty to get freshman girls drunk). But the goofiest frat was the Kappa Alpha fraternity...

They were, basically, a bunch of rich white high school boys who'd made it to college without any real brain power or maturity. They were racists and bullies and they thought they owned the campus. More than once, they singled out some lone student somewhere for harrassment of one sort or another, only to discover that they were related to the university chancelor, or were married to a cop, or weren't at all shy about filing official complaints, or weren't actually alone, what with their half-dozen lead-pipe-totin' buddies walking up behind them...

So here's the funny stories: First, two friends of mine -- Swampy and Elliotte -- cornered a couple of Kappas in public and asked 'em why the frat was so prejudiced. The immediate response: "We're not prejudiced! We've got a Mexican!" Swampy and Elliotte went rolling on the floor laughing at 'em, and for the rest of the year, they'd holler "We're not prejudiced! We've got a Mexican!" anytime there was a lull in a conversation.

Not long afterwards, we found one of the Kappa Alpha pledge books that someone had lost. This pledge book was mainly a way for the pledges to get to know each other -- they had to list their name, major, hometown, favorite movie, favorite food, etc. -- just like a junior high slam book. Anyway, under "Pet Peeves," every single pledge but one wrote "N-Words" (uncensored in the actual pledge book, of course). The lone dissenter wrote "Intolerance," no doubt permanently disqualifying himself from Kappa Alpha membership.

And finally, around January 2001, a bunch of Kappas confronted some prospective students who happened to be black -- in broad daylight, in public, with numerous witnesses, and even wearing their official frat T-shirts -- and shouted racial epithets, waved Confederate flags, and generally behaved like a junior chapter of the Klan. If they thought this would be overlooked, they were magnificently mistaken. The university hit the fraternity with a five-year probation, the student body gleefully jeered them off campus, and even the national Kappa Alpha organization told the morons to get bent.

Every once in a while, it's nice to see the Bad Guys get spanked...