Helen: "Do you have to open graves to find girls to fall in love with?"

DID YOU KNOW...? That the popular action movie starring Brendan Fraser and a bunch of computer effects was actually based on a much OLDER movie that is ill-regarded by modern film audiences primarily because it does NOT feature Brendan Fraser and a bunch of computer effects? IT'S TRUE!

"The Mummy" was originally a horror movie -- with a big fat dollop of romance movie -- from all the way back in 1932. It was directed by Karl Freund and written by Nina Wilcox Putnam and Richard Schayer. The makeup was designed by movie makeup pioneer Jack Pierce. It starred Boris Karloff as Imhotep, Zita Johann as Helen Grosvenor, David Manners as Frank Whemple, and Arthur Byron as Sir Joseph Whemple.

The movie is set in Egypt (surprise, surprise), where an archeological expedition discovers the mummy of Imhotep, who was buried alive for sacrilege. They also find the Scroll of Thoth, which is said to have powers to return the dead to life. A young member of the expedition reads the scroll, and the moldy old Imhotep is able to shamble out into the world... Ten years later, the mummy, now disguised as Egyptian museum curator Ardeth Bey, kidnaps a beautiful expedition member -- he believes that she is the reincarnation of his ancient lost love, and he'll do anything to have her back...

Research from the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com) and from actually watching the damn thing.

"Old movies? Why should we watch old movies? There's not any morphing, is there?" Bah...