American musician (1954-1990). Born and raised in Dallas, Texas, Stevie Ray began playing guitar as a child, inspired by his big brother Jimmie. After dropping out of school to concentrate on his music, Stevie and his band, Double Trouble, played in Austin, becoming a very popular regional band. They played at the Montreux Festival, where Stevie Ray's playing caught the ears of David Bowie and Jackson Browne.

Wider success soon followed, as their debut album, "Texas Flood," proved a modest hit with rock fans and a massive hit with blues fans. The followup album, "Couldn't Stand the Weather," was even more successful, with Stevie Ray's blistering cover of Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" garnering rave reviews and adding to Stevie Ray's fan base. Some fans even started talking up SRV as Hendrix's equal.

Stevie went through a period of addiction to alcohol and drugs, but he kicked his habits during a stay at a rehab clinic. The album which followed, "In Step," was the band's biggest success, earning a Grammy and going gold after only six months.

Stevie Ray died in a helicopter crash after playing in a concert in Wisconsin with Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Jimmie Vaughan, and Robert Cray. After his death, a number of posthumous albums were released that proved even more popular than his previous records, particularly "The Sky Is Crying."

Stevie Ray has been credited with kicking off the blues revival that marked the late 1980s and early 1990s, and many musicians, including older musicians who he considered inspirations, still think of him as one of the best blues musicians ever.