A mysterious figure who has terrorized London (and some other places) since 1837. Jack usually wore dark-colored shiny clothing or a dark cloak and a horned metal helmet. He had fiery red eyes, could breathe jets of flame and was observed to leap about 15 feet -- hence the "Spring-Heel" part of his name. He preferred to attack young ladies in the street.

In 1838, when the Lord Mayor of London declared him a public menace and the Duke of Wellington organized groups of hunters to track him, Jack even used the chaos to his advantage by masquerading as one of the hunters to draw his victims out of their houses. He murdered a prostitute in 1845 by throwing her from a bridge in broad daylight. Jack appeared in Peckham in 1872, in Aldershot in 1877, and in Liverpool in 1904. After hopping across the Atlantic, he showed up in Houston, Texas in 1953 and in Falkville, Alabama in 1973. He returned to Liverpool later that decade and showed up in Scotland in 1986.

So who was Springheeled Jack? Of course no one knows. Some theories have centered around the Marquis of Waterford, who in the 1830s, was well-known for his love of practical jokes and his misogyny; an unnamed religious fruitcake who believed he was being chased by the Devil; Jack the Ripper; an alien; a faerie; a robot; and even a kangaroo dressed up as a prank. I prefer the explanation that I always seem to come up with for cases like this: hoaxes, combined with good old-fashioned public hysteria.

Research from Suppressed Transmission: The First Broadcast by Kenneth Hite, "Jack Be Nimble: Spring-Heeled Jack", pp. 70-71.