One of those organizations that you want to take aside and tell 'em, "Listen, I love what you're doing, but now is the time to decaffeinate." Here's some free advice...

Wanna convert people to vegetarianism? Promote the health benefits of eating less meat. Don't go to a cowtown like Amarillo and shout insults at folks. They'll go right out and order a steak.

Wanna persuade people not to wear leather or fur? Flinging blood on them will just get 'em to go out and buy another fur coat. And where'd you get that blood anyway?

Wanna persuade people not to keep pets? It's not effective to steal pets out of backyards and then euthanize them in your secret kill shelters. 

Want to do something about animal experimentation? Breaking into university labs to set the animals free will just get you a reputation as a criminal. In addition, most of those animals will not survive on their own. And funding for labs targeted by PETA always gets renewed. (Extra hint: Remember what got the cosmetic companies to quit testing on bunny rabbits? Two weeks' worth of Mary Kay cartoons in "Bloom County"...)

And if you write letters to newspaper editors, never, ever, ever stoop to name-calling.

With all these stories about how stupid, devious, and ineffective PETA is, has anyone considered the possibility that the organization is actually funded by the cattle industry...?

In summation, PETA really needs to invest in a public relations department. A competent public relations department.