A documentary on the life of a Native Inuit family, released in 1922 and directed by Robert J. Flaherty. "Nanook" was the first anthropological documentary film, and is still considered an important historical document. The film covers a year in the life of Nanook, an Inuk man, and his family.

Nowadays, we know that some of the scenes were faked slightly. For example, Nanook is depicted living in an igloo and hunting for food, but in real life, Nanook lived in a house and didn't have to hunt very often. However, building an igloo and hunting whales in a kayak certainly were skills that Nanook and the people of his tribe possessed -- he was essentially demonstrating for Flaherty's cameras how such things were done. Additionally, this was a very, very early documentary, made before there were hard rules for how much of a film had to be truthful or fictionalized. 

Other criticisms are more difficult to laugh off. Nanook is depicted as being a savage who's entirely ignorant of modern technology, not understanding how a record player worked. His encounters with white people were also scripted to make him look ignorant. Also, a lot of the details of his life were fictionalized in really weird ways. For one, his name was actually Allakariallak, but Flaherty thought "Nanook" was more marketable. Additionally, two of the women in his family weren't really related to him at all -- Nyla, depicted as Nanook's wife, and Cunayou, another woman in the family, were actually director Flaherty's common-law wives! 

The film was one of the first documentary films, and its success meant that more documentaries followed it. Its ground-breaking nature as cinema makes it worth viewing, and the work put in to depict the lives of Inuits, even if moderately fictionalized, also makes it fun to watch.