Movable multicultural music festival established in the summer of 1991 and fronted by Jane's Addiction singer Perry Farrell. The plan for the first festival was that it would be the farewell tour for Jane's Addiction, with special guests along for the ride. Lollapalooza's first year -- featuring Jane's Addiction, Ice-T's Body Count, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Living Colour, Henry Rollins, the Butthole Surfers, and Nine Inch Nails -- was so successful, musically and commercially, that it returned every summer for the next five years.

Year Two for the Lollapalooza was even more successful and featured the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ice Cube, Pearl Jam, Lush, the Jesus and Mary Chain, Soundgarden, and Ministry. The 1992 tour also included a traveling village of political action tents, food and T-shirt vendors, body piercing shacks, and the freakish Jim Rose Circus.

Farrell reduced his contribution to the 1993 tour, and major corporations began to try to tap into "alternative culture." This year's lineup included Primus, Rage Against the Machine, Front 242, Fishbone, Babes in Toyland, Arrested Development, and Dinosaur Jr.

Farrell renewed his involvement with Lollapalooza in 1994, and the tour drew one of its more diverse lineups: A Tribe Called Quest, the Breeders, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, L7, George Clinton and the P-Funk All-Stars, Green Day, the Boredoms, Stereolab, Guided by Voices, Luscious Jackson, the Beastie Boys, the Smashing Pumpkins, and Courtney Love.

The 1995 tour was less commercial than previous outings. It featured Hole, Sonic Youth, Pavement, Beck, the Jesus Lizard, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Sinead O'Connor, and Cypress Hill.

The 1996 tour was dominated by Metallica, Soundgarden, the Ramones, and Rancid. Many music fans smelled a sell-out, and the tour lost money.

The last year for the Lollapalooza was in 1997. The featured acts included Orbital, Devo, the Prodigy, the Orb, Tool, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Korn, James, eels, Jeremy Toback, and Porno for Pyros. Lots of bands ended up dropping out of the tour early, usually because of illness.

Research from http://altmusic.about.com/library/special/bl_lollapalooza-history.htm