WARNING! SPOILERS EVERYWHERE! THAT'S NO MOON!


Title: War of the Worlds
Release Date: March 1997
Writer: Grant Morrison
Penciller: Howard Porter
Inker: John Dell
JLA Members: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and the Martian Manhunter.
Bad Guys: The Hyperclan (Protex, Primaid, Armek, Zenturion, A-Mortal, Zum, Fluxus, and Tronix).

So what happens?
Okay, Wonder Woman's down, Aquaman's down, Superman's getting poisoned by Kryptonite. But all is not lost! In his superspeed duel with Zum, the Flash proves to be faster and smarter, hitting the alien speedster while traveling at close to light-speed--with a hyperspeed mass approaching infinity, that's enough to knock Zum out.

Meanwhile, back in the Gobi Desert, Green Lantern mooshes Armek, and Flash speeds in to flatten Zenturion. GL and Flash head into the watchtower to discover a video feed accusing Superman of trying to kill Protex and announcing his imminent execution. They also find information indicating that the Hyperclan might be just the advance party of an invasion force of superpowered aliens. And then Armek and Zenturion recover enough to trounce the good guys. Oh, crap. That's everyone. We're sunk, aren't we?

No, wait! Batman escaped 'cause the Hyperclan didn't think they had to worry about a guy with no superpowers. But he's figured out who the Hyperclan really are--with powers of superstrength, flight, shapeshifting, and mind control, they're Martians, just like the Martian Manhunter--and therefore, they are vulnerable to--of all things--fire! Just like that, Bats wipes out A-Mortal, Tronix, Fluxus, and Zenturion.

But the Hyperclan isn't out yet. Protex alerts the rest of the invasion force--70 more Martians, each one almost as strong as Superman! If this thing doesn't conclude next issue, I don't know what we're gonna do!

Cool Moments!
Flash cleans Zum's clock; the Hyperclan discover A-Mortal's unconscious body dangling from a ceiling with a note from Batman pinned to his chest: "I know your secret!"; Batman, armed with a match, vs. Tronix, Zenturion, and Fluxus.

Back | Index | Forward