WARNING! SPOILERS FHTAGN! PH-NGLUI MGLW'NAFH SPOILERS R'LYEH WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN!


Title: Executive Action
Release Date: December 1998
Writer: Grant Morrison
Penciller: Howard Porter
Inker: John Dell
JLA Members: Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Steel, Huntress, Plastic Man, Zauriel, Orion, Barda, and Oracle.
Guest Stars: Mister Miracle, Lightray, Takion, and Metron.
Bad Guys: General Wade Eiling and the Ultramarine Corps (Warmaker One, 4-D, Flow, and Pulse 8).
Cameos: The Shaggy Man.

So what happens?
Someone is stealing the Shaggy Man! No, really, it's important! The Shaggy Man was an artificial creature created by a mad scientist. It was completely, totally indestructible and enjoyed destroying everything it could, so it's been stored, deactivated, at the bottom of the ocean. With somebody--possibly the US military--trying to take control of it, Aquaman and Green Lantern are scrambled to the scene to stop the theft. But a nearby sub hits Green Lantern with microwaves, causing his concentration to fall apart--at 20,000 feet underwater, the pressure is strong enough to crush him to a powder without his power ring's protection, so Aquaman is forced to get GL to the surface fast enough to injure himself (apparently, moving from 800 atmospheres to the surface in one second will give anyone the bends).

Meanwhile, shady Gen. Wade Eiling announces the formation of the Ultramarine Corps, a group of soldiers who gained superpowers in a military accident. They are to serve American interests as the nation's official superteam. The League is suspicious, but the President sez hey, we gotta keep up with the nation's enemies...

And over on New Genesis, the New Gods get some bad news: Mageddon, the ultimate warbringer foretold all the way back in "Justice League: A Midsummer's Nightmare #3", is coming...

Back aboard the Watchtower, Aquaman has been healed up, thanks to Green Lantern sticking him in a ring-generated hyperbaric compression chamber, and the JLA receives word that an alien invasion is taking place in Phoenix, Arizona--but unknown to the League, General Eiling has just staged a military coup, and they are all about to be attacked by the Ultramarines...

Cool Moments!
I don't know if it counts as a "moment", but this issue features the best damn JLA cover of all time.

Cool Quotes!
The President, after Eiling's coup: "Your men can't take on the entire Justice League..."
Eiling: "We've been studying these people for some time, sir. The JLA are civilians. My men are Marine Corps. You watch."

Back | Index | Forward