Tim Commerford is the bassist for Audioslave, the current evolution of Rage Against the Machine. He goes by an ever-changing moniker:

  • 1992-1995: "Timmy C." (The Rage Against the Machine era)
  • 1996-1998: "Tim Bob" (The Evil Empire era)
  • 1998: "Simmerin' T" (during the No Shelter studio sessions]
  • 1999-present: "Y. Tim K." or "Tim.com" alternately (Battle of Los Angeles)

Born 19?? as the youngest of five children, his dad was an aeronautics engineer and his mom was a mathematician, who died when Tim was 20 - she had been battling brain cancer for thirteen years. Tim was friends with former bandmate Zack de la Rocha since elementary school, and it was him who originally inspired Tim to learn bass. He worked at a gas station - the epitome of unskilled labor - until he found himself playing with Rage.

While Tim's setup changes regularly, here is what he is currently using:

Instruments:

Amp Setup:
  • Ampeg SVT-II amp heads (w/ power amps)
  • Two Ampeg 8x10 cabinets (he set these on fire at Woodstock '99 and continues to use them)
Effects:

Tim is a jazz fanatic and claims that he sometimes plays his double bass more than his electric! You can actually hear his double bass on Beautiful World, from the Renegades album. The band wildcard, Tim climbed the set during Limp Bizkit's acceptance speech at the 2000 MTV Awards, battling cops and security on the way down. He later blamed Britney Spears' cover of "Satisfaction" for setting him off. (Can you really blame him?)


Sources:
http://www.ratm.iq.pl/sprzet/sprzet.htm
http://www.musicfanclubs.org/rage/instrumentation.htm
"Rage Against the Machine, Colin Devenish

If you know when Tim was born, please /msg me - I can't find it anywhere!