As a general rule, fire alarms not linked to a fire drill will always be when it is least inconvienient for everyone around, and at least twice as inconvienient when you live in residence halls or dormitories on the campus of your University of choice.

Continuing with the sweeping generalizations, when fire alarms go off, you will either be studying for a test, sleeping, going to sleep, watching a movie with your significant other, or just getting up. In the rare circumstances when the alarms don't inconvienience you immediately, you will invariably be forced to stay outside for half an hour in weather that is at least ten degrees below freezing with gusts of wind at and above thirty miles per hour. Sometimes, you get both- depends on how much karma you've been saving up.

Most fire alarms are triggered by the same people- those individuals who smoke in a non-smoking section, and people who are making microwave popcorn under the influence of booze, weed, pr0n, or anime. Surprisingly enough, when the trigger can be traced, he/she in the future refrains from doing something stupid that would force everyone from their comfortable rooms. Maybe it's the duct tape that their door gets plastered with. I dunno.