I don't know. Am I the only one on the planet who wishes to separate the process of intellectual examination from love and birth?

I don't deny wisdom, and foresight, but to me the termination of a foetus for reason of lack of intelligence, seems well shallow. I mean there is a lot more to a person than their ability to solve problems, and personality or lack of it is as much a system of exchanges as an innate quality.

I have worked with, and know a number of children with Downs syndrome and one child who can only be described as moderately retarded, and I must say that the abuse they get from their society is more an indictment of the hypocrisy of that society than anything they have done. Like it or not, these people are human.

They may not be up to our standards of what we think humans should be, but then again neither were blacks a few centuries ago, oh and Jews in the earlier part of the last century.

Do you get what I am trying to say here? The issue isn't the termination but of simple, selfish, vindictive bigotry. To couch it in other terms is a crime in itself. It is understandable (not saying justified) to terminate a pregnancy because one genuinely believes that one doesn't have the resources to give the child a good life. Or maybe if the child is properly braindead, and can have no quality of life to speak of.

But to abort a foetus on the basis that it's intelligence while adequate to function isn't up to the mothers expectation is beyond any hope of reasonable justification or even aforesaid understanding. "I have an IQ of 186, my mother has an IQ of 136":- does this mean that because she and I cannot converse about some abstract concepts I may have that I should kill her? Where is the love? Where is the humanity? The idea itself is absurd, relativistic in it's lack of anything resembling sense.