Born in New York City in 1979, then raised by her mother (her out of the picture father is Ravi Shankar) in Texas, Norah Jones attended the Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts (as did Erykah Badu) where she studied jazz piano. Although the University of North Texas attracted Jones with its renowned reputation for its music school, in 1999, Jones visited New York City and decided to stay.

In NYC, Norah Jones performed with the bands Laszlo and Wax Poetic and soon formed a band of her own. She recorded a demo ep for Blue Notes Records in October of 2000 and she was signed onto the label in January of 2001. Come Away With Me contains fourteen songs, three of which she wrote or co-wrote, that range from jazz to soul to country to rock. Because of this fusion of music types, Jones has gained a wide audience and gets air time both on classical jazz radio stations and VH1. She can also be heard covering More Than This and Day is Done on guitarist Charlie Hunter’s Blue Note album Songs from the Analog Playground.

Feelin' the Same Way, her second single from Come Away with Me is expected be released September 10.


help on info. and facts from cdnow.com and http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/jones_norah/bio.jhtml