The Cordelier’s Club was a French Revolutionary club founded in Paris on April 1790. It used a militant form of working together, and was dedicated to defending the rights of man. It was officially known as the Society of Friends of the Rights of Man and the Citizen. The club took the name “Cordelier’s” from its meeting place, a former Franciscan (or Cordelier) Monastery located on the rue des Cordeliers.
The club accepted members regardless of race, wealth, or gender. The club, ran by rich men, had cheap membership. Many of these men ended up in the Jacobin Club. Georges Jacques Danton became a leader of the club, and a major influence of the Revolution. Many journalists were also included in the club. Jean-Paul Marat, Camille Desmoulins, Nicolas de Bonneville, Stanislas Freron, Pierre-Francois Robert, James Rutlidge, and Antoine-Francois Momoro were all active members. In the Journal du Club des Cordeliers the club published articles on their meetings.
In 1791, King Louis XVI returned from Varennes. The club advocated the removal of the King, by petitioning the Legislative Assembly because they thought that the Assembly could do something about it. King Louis continued to live as King, and the club failed in their attempt of removing him. As a result, the Cordelier’s Club was temporarily disbanded. After this club was restored, it became even more radical, and was disbanded for good in 1794 after an unsuccessful insurrection.
Information gathered from: www.woodberry.org