Many benefits arise from taking the AP or Advanced Placement exams distributed by the College Board. For one, students have the possibility of earning college credit. Another benefit is if you meet certain requirements, you may be recognized and given an AP Scholar Award which you may use to cite among your credentials on applications, resumes, etc. Sorry, there is no money involved here.

Here are the possible awards, and their requirements:

AP Scholar:
Students must receive a grade of three or higher on three or more AP Exams on full-year courses.

AP Scholar with Honor:
Students must receive an average grade of at least 3.25 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of three or higher on four or more exams on full-year courses.

AP Scholar with Distinction:
Students must receive an average grade of at least 3.5 on all AP Exams taken, and grades of three or higher on five or more exams on full-year courses.

AP State Scholar:
This is granted to one male and one female student in each state and the District of Columbia with grades of three or higher on the greatest number of exams (at least three full-year course exams), and then the highest average grade (at least 3.5) on all AP Exams taken.

National AP Scholar:
This is granted to students in the United States who receive an average grade of at least four on all AP Exams taken, and grades of four or higher on eight or more of these exams on full-year courses.

National AP Scholar (Canada):
This is granted to students in Canada who receive an average grade of at least four on all AP Exams taken, and grades of four or higher on five or more of these exams on full-year courses.

AP Department of Defense for Education Activity (DoDEA) Scholar:
This award is granted to the one male and one female student who is attending DoDEA schools with the highest average on the greatest number of AP Exams. Must have a grade of three or higher on three exams on full-year courses.

AP International Scholar:
This award is granted to the one male and one female student attending an American international school outside the U.S. and Canada with the highest average grade on the greatest number of AP Exams. Must have a grade of three or higher on three exams on full-year courses.

Exams which are treated as half-year courses include: