There are many serpentine outcroppings scattered about the Coastal Range and Sierra Foothills of California, among other areas. They are easily visible from roads because when the road cuts into one, the gouged-out hillside becomes a dull green. Often, seeps and springs are also found in these areas, completely full of various minerals which leave crusty white crystals along their sides.

Serpentine areas are special becuase their soil is so harsh and full of caustic minerals that very few plants can survive there. Because these areas are found in little 'islands' scattered through the hills, only a few plants have been able to establish on them. Over millions of years, plants have evolved to cope with the harsh conditions, but due to their isolation, many of these plants are completely different than the other ones around them, or any other plants in the world. The effect is similar to that of the finches in the Galapagos which Darwin studied - except the areas are surrounded by other, more normal areas.

Serpentine vegetation is usually smaller and more stunted than other vegetation nearby. A serpentine area near a redwood forest may look as dry as a hillside near Los Angeles, even if it gets many feet of rain a year. Often, 'dwarfed' trees and shrubs are found in these areas. There are many endemic plants which are found in these areas, including individual species of lupine and manzanita, and many others. Also, small animals such as insects which have come to depend on these plants are extremely different than any others in the world.

Because the conditions are so harsh, serpentine soils are much less likely to get overwhelmed by non-native vegetation than other areas. However, some invasives such as wild oats and bromus still can be a problem. A more likely problem is overgrazing, since most of the serpentine areas are on land grazed by cattle. Also, although fire is not as vital on these areas as some other areas, an occasional fire is still beneificial, and total removal of fire from these ecosystems can lead to much damage.