Chess, or Makruk
is a chessgame
on an 8 * 8 board immensely popular in Thailand
, and pretty much nowhere else
. It is largely appealing to the Westerner
as it can be played with a mere FIDE
Chess set and requires no special equipment.
Before You Start:
I will be using my own Logical Notation
in this document, so you'll probably want to understand
it. Note also
that these are not the Thai names for pieces.
w.Pawn 6.1; 6.2; 6.3... 6.8
b.Pawn: 3.1; 3.2; 3.3... 3.8
w.Rook: 8.1; 8.8
b.Rook: 1.1; 1.8
w.Knight: 8.2; 8.7
b.Knight: 1.2; 1.7
w.Khon: 8.3; 8.6
b.Khon: 1.3; 1.6
For the more visual
among you, a picture of the board.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1 b.R b.N b.H b.G b.K b.H b.N b.R
3 b.P b.P b.P b.P b.P b.P b.P b.P
6 w.P w.P w.P w.P w.P w.P w.P w.P
8 w.R w.N w.H w.G w.K w.H w.N w.R
- The Pawn moves a single space forward and captures diagonally. There is no initial two-step jump and thus no en passant capture.
- The Rook moves as the FIDE Chess Rook; an infinite number of spaces orthogonally until interrupted.
- The Knight moves as an orthodox Knight; one space vertically and two horizontally; or vice-versa.
- The Khon moves either a single space forward and a single space in any diagonal direction.
- The General, as that of Shatranj, moves a single space in any diagonal direction.
- The King; as an orthodox King, may move a single space in any direction that does not put him in danger of being captured.
The objective is to mate the opponent's King
. Stalemate is a draw. Additionally, when either player has lost his Rooks, Khon, and Knights, his adversary has a limited amount of moves in which to mate him, depending on the pieces he still has, lest the game is drawn
. They are as follows.
Major Pieces Moves
No Rook or Khon
and less than 2 64
Two Knights 32
One Khon 44
Two Khon 22
One Rook 16
Two Rooks 8
When w.Pawn moves 4.* ! 3.*
or b.Pawn moves 5.* ! 6.*
, it is promoted
to a General.
In Thai Chess there is considerably less power on the board, which can make it disarming
(though interesting nonetheless
) to those accustomed to sweeping moves like those of the Queen
. Above all, enjoy the game