Composed of Doseone, Odd Nosdam, and Why? (along with a plethora of guest artists), Clouddead's music is so far away from what's usually considered to be hip-hop (they've been compared to Boards of Canada and Brian Eno) that it's uncertain whether they deserve the label at all. Their eponymous debut LP, which is actually a collection of 6 double-sided singles, shifts between melodic and unsettlingly discordant, usually within the same track (see "Apt. A, Pt. 2"). While most hip-hop uses a rigidly structured combination of beats and samples, Clouddead's music drifts and stutters: synthesised melodies slide in and out, samples appear from nowhere, beats mutate over the course of a track, and the MCing style ranges from fast and confrontational to subdued and menacing. These highly experimental production techniques differentiate Clouddead from other underground hip-hop heroes such as Aesop Rock.

Discocgraphy:

Clouddead

  1. Apt. A, Pt. 1
  2. Apt. A, Pt. 2
  3. And All You Can Do Is Laugh, Pt. 1
  4. And All You Can Do Is Laugh, Pt. 2
  5. I Promise Never to Get Paint on My Glasses, Pt. 1
  6. I Promise Never to Get Paint on My Glasses, Pt. 2
  7. Jimmybreeze, Pt. 1
  8. Jimmybreeze, Pt. 2
  9. (Cloud Dead #5), Pt. 1
  10. (Cloud Dead #5), Pt. 2
  11. Bike, Pt. 1
  12. Bike, Pt. 2
Source: Allmusic.com

The Peel Sessions

  1. Apt. A (Part 1: Touching Story)
  2. And All You Can Do Is Laugh (Part 1: Grey)
  3. I Promise Never To Get Paint On My Glasses Again (Part 1: Out For The View)
  4. I Promise Never To Get Paint On My Glasses Again (Part 1: Mother Pregnant)
  5. Jimmy Breeze (Part 1: I Taught Myself To Survive)
  6. Jimmy Breeze (Part 2: Ram's Crumpled Horn)
  7. Bike (Part 2: Edison Accapella)
  8. Bike (Part 2: Dead Dog)
  9. The Sound Of A Handshake
  10. Unknown
Source: Radio 1 website