Alright, this seems to be the only fitting place for this, but what is wrong with the doctors in Florida?

I guess that need some explaination... The last couple weeks have been hell for me. The friday before Columbus Day I get a phone call from a very good friend saying that his little sister was in a really nasty car accident and probably wouldn't live through the weekend. Needless to say this was not the best news to get and totally ruined everyone's weekend. However, on Columbus Day, while she had not yet woken up, she was still in stable condition and has deteriorated very little during the weekend. Then during the week she actually started to get better! This ended up with her actually waking up for a few minutes at the end of the week much to the delight of everyone.

During the next weekend things took a turn for the worse and her condition started to deteriorate again. Shit. This went on up until this past thursday, all week the doctors Tsaying she wouldn't last to the weekend. Then out of the blue on Saturday morning she woke up at was very aware and coherent. After cunducting some tests they decided that she would be alright and took her out of the I.C.U. and listed her condition as stable. She's been fine and has gone from someone they have written off as dead to someone who will likely have nerve damage which may not be good but it is better than the alternative.

Unfortunately, all this was going on in Florida while I'm stuck up at school in New York, so it still doesn't seem real to me. What I want to know is how did this happen? How did someone who was written off manage to pull through despite the doctors saying there was no way it could happen? Was it becuase they didn't want to get our hope up? They don't know what they're doing? Or could it be that there really is a God and sometimes he(?) even helps atheists? I really have no idea and it worries me. All I know is that my friend's sister almost died and then recovered and there is nothing either of us could do and that scares the hell out of me. All that matters is that she is alright now and I'm going to thank God for that everyday whether he(?) is really there or not.