The following writeup is regarding English law only.

You are qualified for jury service if:

If you don't conform to all of the above, get your coat - you're not allowed to serve on a jury.

You are NOT qualified for jury service if:

Convictions

Mental disorders

The Judiciary and other people concerned with the Administration of Justice

You are not qualified for jury service if you are or have ever been

You are not qualified for jury service if you have been, at any time within the last 10 years

The Clergy

Gosh that was a long one. Are you any of the above? No? Well let's see if you have the right to be excused then...

You have the right to be excused if:

Parliament

You are

Medical and other Professions*

*Only if you are practicing the profession and you are registered, enrolled or certificated under the law which relates to your profession

The Forces

You are a full-time member of

and your commanding officer certifies to the jury summoning officer that your absence would be 'prejudicial to the efficiency of the service'

You may also ask to be excused if:

  • You are more than 65 years old
  • You have been on jury service during the past 2 years

(but these are at the discression of the summoning officer)

Some information about potential jurors

Approximately 150 summons are sent out to potential jurors for each case. They must then reply if they think they are exempt using the guidelines shown above. When these potential jurors arrive at the crown court, the court clerk separates them into groups of 15 and they are asked if there are any reasons why they should not be picked. If they have any previous convictions within the last 10 years and they do not reveal them, then they may be fined up to £5,000.

If no jurors turn up, which happened at Middlesex Crown Court on January 2nd 1992, then the Court Clerk can go out into the street and pick people at random. This process is called 'praying a talesman'.

The prosecution may challenge the selected jurors for any good reason before the trial, resulting in them being removed from the jury. This is called the right to stand by. The jurors are picked at random from a computer, if for any reason it is believed the choice was not at random either party may make a 'challenge to the array'.

Sources: My wonderful law teachers Caroline Buckley and Ruth Harrison, and my personal knowledge