In Ezekiel 28 we read the following:

Son of man, take up a lament concerning the king of Tyre and say to him: `This is what the Sovereign LORD says: "`You were the model of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.

You were in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone adorned you. Your settings and mountings were made of gold; on the day you were created they were prepared.

You were anointed as a guardian cherub, for so I ordained you. You were on the holy mount of God; you walked among the fiery stones.

You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created till wickedness was found in you. Through your widespread trade you were filled with violence, and you sinned. So I drove you in disgrace from the mount of God, and I expelled you, O guardian cherub, from among the fiery stones.

Your heart became proud on account of your beauty, and you corrupted your wisdom because of your splendor. So I threw you to the Earth; I made a spectacle of you before kings.

By your many sins and dishonest trade you have desecrated your sanctuaries. So I made a fire come out from you, and it consumed you, and I reduced you to ashes on the ground in the sight of all who were watching. All the nations who knew you are appalled at you; you have come to a horrible end and will be no more."

The earthly King (the King or the Prince of Tyre) is mentioned first, then the spirit behind him which is none other than Satan himself. The guardian cherub was driven in disgrace from his priveledged postion: he had access to the the Garden of Eden -the Mount of God- and he walked among the 'fiery stones' (maybe these were the planets), but anyhow he came to a horrible end. Jesus Christ said in Luke 10:18 'I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven'.

But he can go to know further because the holy angels will allow it, and he remains in this realm until he is thrown into the Lake of Fire for one thousands years after a brief period of freedom.

So, it seems that this battle is about Satan who corrupted his wisdom and his beauty. Satan then made accusations about God, and God's children day and night, and God threw him to the Earth, and made an example of him before Kings.

One of Satan's titles is the Accuser. At some stage, this battle could have been similar to a court case. Satan was hurling accusations against God and his kingdom, but God allowed it for a time so creation could weigh up for themselves his argument. He eventually got one third of gods angels to side with him. But as time went on it became obvious that Satan way lead to death and there was no reason to his lies. After this war broke out, and the devil and his angels were cast down as there was no longer a place for them in heaven.

God didn't snuff Satan out at the earliest stage of rebellion. Instead God allowed Satan rebellion to continue to the end and He also allowed all those that followed him to go all the way with their rebellion so God could show all of creation that anything outside of his will leads to pain, death and destruction. Satan rebellion has shown the foolishness of living life outside of God's will.