Bliss in a Highball Glass!

Just thinking of the taste of this beautiful longdrink gives me goosebumps:

It was the summer of 1985 (the year that Don Henley's "Boys of Summer", Wham!'s "Everything she wants" and Les Rita Mitsouko's "Marcia Baila" hit the charts for the first time) and I was in love. Not for the first time of course, as I was already 17, but this time it was special: this was my first french girlfriend and I was on holiday in Hossegor (on the french Cote d'Argent) with my three best friends.

Her parents owned a beautiful villa near the beach that she and a couple of friends of hers confiscated for 6 weeks, and so we were regular guests after the day on the beach, sitting on the veranda and enjoying our young, hormone-fueled lifes. While the sun was going down over the dunes she would always serve a drink that reflected the gorgeous colours of the sunset in the longdrink glass, a Malibu Sunrise. Chris Rea's "On the Beach" and Matt Bianco's "Summer Song" gave the finishing touch to this scene of utter bliss and serenity, and for a couple of weeks, paradise was found.

Malibu Sunrise:

  • 2 oz Malibu Rum
  • Fill with Orange Juice
  • 1 oz Grenadine
  • Pour the malibu rum in a highball glass, and fill with orange juice. Stir.
  • Add grenadine by tilting glass and pouring grenadine down side
  • Enjoy