The age old question posed to a number of scientific scholars, past and present...

Why did the chicken cross the road?
Pierre de Fermat: I just don't have room here to give the full explanation.

Why did the chicken cross the Moebius strip?
To get to the other ... er, um ...

Why did the chicken cross the road?
Zeno of Elea: To prove it could never reach the other side.

Why did the chicken cross the road?
Werner Heisenberg: We are not sure which side of the road the chicken was on, but it was moving very fast.

Why did the chicken cross the road?
Sir Issac Newton: The Laws of Chickens
1) Chickens at rest tend to stay at rest. Chickens in motion tend to cross the road.
2) It was pushed on the road.
3) It was pushed on the road by another chicken, which went away from the road.
4) It was attracted to a chicken on the other side of the road.

Why did the chicken cross the road?
Wolfgang Pauli: There already was a chicken on this side of the road.

Why did the chicken cross the road?
Aristotle: It is the nature of chickens to cross the road.

Why did the chicken cross the road?
Stephen Jay Gould: It is possible that there is a sociobiological explanation for it, but we have been deluged in recent years with sociobiological stories despite the fact that we have little direct evidence about the genetics of behaviour, and we do not know how to obtain it for the specific behaviours that figure most prominently in sociobiological speculation.

Why did the chicken cross the road?
Darwin: It was the logical next step after coming down from the trees.