Early 80's action cartoon on ABC.

In the midst of the original Dungeons and Dragons frenzy, ABC began showing a new cartoon called Thundarr the Barbarian. The cartoon had elements of fantasy, adventure, and science along with a female character in a short costume, making it the perfect vehicle for its target audience.

The series was set in a distant future. After the destruction of civilization in the early 1990's by the gravitational pull of a rogue planet, the world returned, but a world ruled by sorcery and advanced science. People were being oppressed and mistreated. But a champion arose to defend the weak and deliver really bad dialogue. He is Thundarr the Barbarian! Armed with his mystic flaming sun sword, Thundarr traveled the world fighting evil. He was accompanied by Princess Ariel, a dusky-skinned sorceress with a penchant for calf-high boots and short costumes, and Ookla the Mok, a hairy, fanged creature of incredible strength and the pronounciation skills of Ozzy Osbourne.

These three traveled the globe in search of adventure, battling the forces of evil and looking for opportunities for Thundarr to speak such gems of dialogue as "Ariel! Ookla! Ride! or to use exclamations like Demon Dogs! or Lords of Light!.

The series ran for a year and a half on ABC and is occasionally shown on the Cartoon Network.