A super-hero published by DC Comics. He first appeared in Crack Comics #1 in August 1940.

The origin of the Black Condor begins in Mongolia in the early part of the 20th century. A young archaelogist named Richard Grey, his wife, and new-born son are part of an expedition that is attacked by bandits. The bandits killed all of the members of the group except the infant. He is left to die, but is rescued from certain death by a group of highly intelligent condors. Not only is it amazing that the condors took the human child in and raised it as their own, but it is equally amazing that they were in Asia at all, as condors are native to the mountain ranges of North and South America.

Despite their obvious misplacement in central Asia, the condors raise young Grey as their own. The child possessed the ability of flight in another unexplained turn of events, so he grew as a member of the flock like any other. Only his odd appearance ever gave the young man any idea that he was not a condor, until the day that he met Father Pierre, a friendly hermit.

Father Pierre taught the young Grey to speak English, despite being French, taught him to act like a human, and told him of his tragic past. When Pierre was killed by the same group of bandits that had slain Grey's parents 20 years earlier, Grey was overcome by the implausibility of his own origin and wreaked havoc upon the villains, taking solace in his revenge.

Grey then traveled to the United States as Richard Grey, Jr., but soon became embroilled in trying to foil a plot to kill U.S. Senator Thomas Wright. Along the way, Grey adopted Wright's identity and defeated those who sought to kill Wright. Again, in another odd turn of events, Grey kept Wright's identity and continued to serve in the U.S. Congress, showing that the people in Wright's district really don't keep up with national politics. While serving as a Senator, Grey/Wright also adventured as the Black Condor.

The Black Condor became a member of both the All-Star Squadron and the Freedom Fighters.