A scenic roadway stretching 469 miles through North Carolina and Virginia. Maintained by the National Park Service, the Blue Ridge Parkway was established to maintain the natural beauty of the area.

The Parkway starts on its southern end near Cherokee, NC in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It winds its way to Asheville, NC where the Parkway's headquarters is located. The roadway passes through the Pisgah National Forest and close to Blowing Rock, a popular attraction in the mountains of North Carolina. The Parkway reaches its highest pint at Richard Balsam Overlook at a height of 6,047 feet.

The Parkway continues into Virginia where it passes close to Roanoke. The Appalachian Trail is accessible from the Parkway in a number of places along this area. The Parkway ends in the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia.

A number of campgrounds and picnic areas are scattered along the length of the Parkway as well as a handfull of visitors centers. Other attractions along its length include the Blue Ridge Music Center which highlights bluegrass and other regional music (people who dislike dulcimer music should avoid at all costs). For those interested in regional arts and crafts, the Southern Highlands Folk Art Center is located on the Parkway as well.