A villain published by DC Comics. Black Manta first appeared in Aquaman #35 in 1967.

Little is known of the villain Black Manta, including his real name. It is known that he has spent years plundering the deep of its treasures. Over the years, Black Manta has gathered many loyal followers who act as henchmen in his various schemes. Most of these followers are black as Black Manta himself is. He has said that he is seeking to balance the fact that blacks have been oppressed above the waves by making them the rulers below the waves.

Black Manta dresses in a costume that allows him nearly an unlimited air supply as well as protects him from the crushing pressure of deep sea diving. His costume's center piece is the large oval shaped helmet that he wears, which is dominated by two large red eye pieces. The eyes pieces allow Black Manta to shoot beams that can melt steel. Black Manta also uses a number of underwater vehicles, most believed to be of his own design.

Black Manta's exploits have often placed him at odds against the king of Atlantis, Aquaman. The two have implacable foes for many years, but their emnity was sealed when Black Manta kidnapped Aquaman's son and his sidekick, Aqualad, and forced Aquaman to fight his friend for the life of his son. The battle cost Aquaman the life of his son, whom Black Manta killed and caused a rift between Aquaman and Aqualad that lasted many years.