Woke up fully clothed, cold, as I was on top of the covers, and knew I had to go and brush my teeth, as it was some hours since I'd eaten that tub of Chunky Monkey ice-cream. Reluctantly went and did so. Lay there thinking that it wasn't quite right: I think I decided that I must be dreaming therefore the tooth-brushing wouldn't do anything positive for my teeth unless I did it while awake. (Woke up and did so. That was about 3 a.m.)

At work, except that it was around the dining-room table, I has two tasks, and complained half-humorously about some aspect of each of them. One of them was writing an essay about someone who'd risen to prominence quickly, a young man, a war hero? My boss connected my two comments and thought perhaps the idea of this guy daunted me.

So here was there in person, to tell me his story, or let me ask questions, or whatever. Pleasant enough, but there was no need for him to be, as all it would take would be a bit of time on research and effort in writing. I felt slightly embarrassed for him having been dragged out to see me. I said I couldn't think of anything and it would be considerably more convenient for me if I could write to him if I needed answers, because then I could be clearer and more spontaneous in phrasing things.

Was looking at old newspapers, 1970s perhaps. I can no longer remember the connexion here.


Third dream, set in a maze of tunnels, where we were warned about the rough sleepers of some Brazilian city. They were vicious, and carried knives and scalpels. So I ran through these corridors hurdling over sleeping figures, almost mummified in their tatters of blankets. Fortunately I only hit one, who rose up like a ghoul and lunged at me with a scalpel. I fought it off briefly by parrying with my knife.

Outside the other two in my team caught up with me. I found my reward was to kiss one, who was to become my partner. Hm, tolerable.

Why did I have rememberable dream two nights in a row, and not for months previously? Common element: had no alcohol either of those nights.