Camp Washington Chili opened in 1940 in Cincinnati, Ohio. The owner, John Johnson still works there, about ten hours a day. The restaurant has recently moved to a new location, to allow the widening of Hopple street, on which it is located.

Every time I go up to Indiana to visit my family, I stop for cincinnati chili. I've eaten at a few of the chains, such as skyline chili, and I've eaten at some of the small chili shops, but Camp Washington is the best I've ever had. Apparantly, I'm not the only one who feels that way. Camp Washinton's walls are lined with newspaper clippings and awards... most declaring them the chili champions of the world.

On this past visit, the owner was there, and very friendly. He made small talk about the construction going on outside and the weather as we paid our bill. I could really tell that this is a man who truely loves his job. I had a five way and a cheese coney. I've never been a huge fan of the spaghetti under my chili, seems to water down the flavor for me, but it was still the best five way I've had. The coney on the other hand was incredible! I've never had such a small hotdog fill me up so quickly.

So, if you're ever in Cincinnati, take the Hopple Street exit off of I-75 and turn right at the end of the ramp. Amazing chili will be a few blocks on the right. There's only one of them, and hopefully it will never become a chain.