O my children!  O my brothers and sisters!  The Summer of Love, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, as old Charlie used to say.  It was a time of great beauty, it was a time of great ugliness.  From all over America, and beyond, came children whom the Dream had failed, or who imagined the dream failed them, who had too much to dream last night, or who simply wanted to dream some more.  They were shown where it's at by a Pied Piper who wrote a song to sell tickets to a music festival. The Haight swelled with the ranks of the Flower Children, all clamoring to see The Dead or Airplane, or even be offered a swig of Southern Comfort from Janis's own bottle.  And all The Man had to do was stand by and let it turn into great ugliness, let the Flower Children drown in their own shit and crab lice, or make their own tracks for a permanent way out. It was a reflection of the Great Ugliness in the rest of the world, the Ugliness The Man uses and promulgates to justify himself.

Who are you, O cheesy one, you may ask, who are you to comment on the time of love beads, of long hair, of the Panhandle, of a generation lost in space, of the time when Frodo lived and everyone tried to grok everyone else?  You turned three during the Summer of Love.  You were playing with letter blocks, plastic fake radios and Dr. Seuss books, and getting sick on unripe peaches that had fallen out of Daddy's peach tree, while two continents away, young American men were dragging themselves through bloody muck, being thrown across minefields and into sniper fire for no good reason, and Vietnamese babies were being vaporized by bombs?  One sight of the Hell's Angels and you'd have started screaming for Mommy and Daddy! Who are you to lay on us this trip about the love, the squalor, the children, who, one continent away, imagined they could get experienced, and change things at the same time?  You're like one of tourists that poured through the Haight to take pictures of hippies from the safety of their tour buses! You liked to sing along, you liked to shoot your gun, but do you really know what it meant?

Maybe I do, maybe I don't, O my children.  I can be your Gorgonzola, but not your Guru, you who have known so many false profits.  I only know things third hand. Not from Siva. From TV documentaries that sneer as they wonder. From, say, a Freshman Disorientation flyer,"Children of the Summer of Love", found in the gutter during my senior year in college, a pamphlet which said that graduating wasn't that important, but LSD was the key to discovering yourself.  Gloriously, I rejected our hippie friend's line of crap. For all the wrong reasons, but still to my lasting benefit.

If you really want to know why I brought you here, my children, it is not to sit around in a circle and put blotter acid on our tongues and wave in the breeze like seaweed.  I merely set the mood for my real motive in bringing you to this node.  Yes, my children, this is a con as well. It is a much more mundane thing, the type of thing you have already learned to expect from your Gorgonzola, to love and hate in your various ways.

I come to tell you of a book.  A long, strange, wondrous, groovy trip (* * * 1/2) of a science fiction novel by Lisa Mason.

A girl runs away from her well-to-do but self-centered parents in fabulous Shaker Heights, Ohio, and comes to San Francisco to find the New Explanation.  A Haight shopkeeper throws her dealer boyfriend out and has to live with the fact that all of these enlightened cats running the Summer of Love don't need any help from women.  Ruby Maverick, our shopkeeper, tells our American Beauty, our Star-bright girl to return to her fortress on the Cuyahoga: "Cleveland needs you more".  Starbright fails to heed her advice, and goes off to seek her school chum Penny Lane, and gets herself into a really heavy situation really fast.

And a dude named Chiron Cat's Eye in Draco comes from far, far away, from the future, a future where people have to live in domes to survive. We know our children will curse us for what we do to the Earth.   But Chiron comes back to save the Summer of Love, himself, and everyone else.  While not doing anything to affect history, you all know that old Time Travel shtick. Shades of Star Trek as well as Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Yours Truly reads Ms. Mason's book and imagines this is what the Summer of Love was really like, in all its glory and vileness.

But beware, O brothers and sisters.  Ms. Mason paints a vivid picture but also hoists herself upon her own moral petard.  She lectures our Man from Mars, telling him that the way you frame your arguments affects their reality, while all the time, she pushes a moral repugnance as a Good Thing, merely to advance the plot.  I do not mean the drug dealing, I do not mean the illegal abortion,  I do not mean any of the groovy, awful, beautiful, ugly, things we have come to associate with the Summer of Love.

You will see, my children, if you choose to read.  And read you should, if you promise to be careful. You may just learn a thing or two.  Do not read this book if you have teenage daughters; it is not the book for you.