According to the new "Tomb Raider" movie (ick) and many other sources, the Illuminati originated many years B.C.E. and were a group of people that had discovered a way to travel through time and do many other things using what is sorta like the TriForce in the Zelda game series in that the powers bestowed to the user vary by whether he/she is good or evil. "The All-Seeing Eye" (also known as the "little eye in the pyramid" - can be found on US dollar bills), symbol was cast in a triangular stone and the magical powers bestowed were too strong for the men to control. The artifact was then destroyed and the parts sent to separate corners of the earth. A group of men (including Lara's father in the movie), who are believed to control damn near everything on the planet, spend their lives searching for the pieces and taking over the world while they're at it.

Many conspiracy theorists believe the Illuminati are the cause of everything and anything that happens. JFK? yup, they got him... Lincoln? yep, him too.... WWII? Indeedy, you think Hitler was really that impressive to the Germans? Hell no, he had help....The whole Cold War deal? Just entertainment....

*The author would like to note that the above opinions are not necesarily those expressed by Good King Nerdnor enterprises and associates*