"Still Alive and Well" is a 1973 album by blues rock guitarist Johnny Winter. It was his first album in three years, which is perhaps how the album got its name. The album's songs include classic blues numbers, compositions by Johnny Winter and producer Rick Derringer and two Rolling Stones covers.

Johnny Winter had the misfortune(?) of being the older brother of a rock guitarist, Edgar Winter, who shared a similar style and also a unique physical appearance. Edgar had a little more chart success than Johnny, but they had very similar styles. If there is a difference, it is that Edgar Winter liked to indulge in a bit more sonic experimentation, as in his single "Frankenstein" while Johnny Winter liked straight-ahead rocking.

And "straight-ahead rocking" pretty much describes this album. If someone were to imagine a mid-70s rock album, this might be the template. I mean, it has songs with both tequila and seconal in their title! The songs are not edited or produced for single radio play---this is straight ahead, album oriented rock. Johnny Winter has a gravelly voice, the lyrics are somewhat simplistic, but he sure can play guitar. Johnny Winter and company have a rock sound that is interesting enough to be distinctive, but that I can also partially tune out. Its not like listening to a Bob Dylan album, where I feel I have Bob Dylan in the room with me, lecturing me. This is something that is both energetic, yet smooth enough to play in the background. For that reason, while it isn't one of my favorite albums, I find myself listening to it almost every day. It was a coincidental pick-up, something I found in the dollar bin of one of my local record stores. While this isn't an essential, earth-shaking record, I have had fun listening to it.