As mentioned before, the patchwork of processes that are used across the United States of America for each party to nominate their presidential candidate is quite diverse. One of the curiosities of this is that some territories that can not vote in the general election can vote in the primaries. But American Samoa takes this one step further, because currently it is the only place where non-citizens can vote.

In theory, the political parties are private organizations, and can choose their delegates anyway they wish. The Republican Party can, if they wish, choose who to assign Wisconsin's delegates to based on who wins a waffle eating contest in Belgium. Not that this is likely, although I would wish to see Hans Grosseinbotter vs. The Republican Party of Wisconsin argued before the United States Supreme Court. But both political parties allow American Samoans to take place in their political process.

Technically speaking, while not United States citizens, the residents of American Samoa are American nationals. The distinction seems to be one of those arcane Victorian distinctions that only the most steely eyed citizenship lawyer could explain. All I know is that cartoon Ben Franklin tells me this is the case, and I am not about to argue with one of our Founding Fathers, even in his guise as cartoonish middle school educator.

Anyway, after having established the somewhat odd placement of American Samoa in our national civic life, I will talk about the results of the caucuses. As it has been with other Pacific territories, Mitt Romney carried the day. Apparently, quite a bit of the population of American Samoa is Mormon, which probably explains Romney's success. But even without that, as mentioned earlier, the further we get from the axis of Republican politics and identity, the better Romney seems to do.

So softening the blow of his loss in Mississippi and Alabama, Mitt Romney ended up winning all nine of American Samoa's delegates to the Republican Convention.