Luckiamute Landing State Natural Area is a State Natural Area (somewhat akin to a State Park) in Oregon, specifically in Polk and Benton counties, on the Willamette River. The park is located about five linear miles north of Albany, Oregon. Luckiamute Landing is divided into two parcels, separated by private property. The two parcels together are some 900 acres, or about one and a half square miles, although it seems to be much larger while visiting.

The larger parcel is basically a peninsula between the Luckiamute River and the Willamette River, which run parallel to each other for several miles before joining. This creates a wetland area with a deciduous forest of maple, poplar and Oregon Ash, and an understory of plants such as alder, hawthorn and wild rose. This is also prime habitat for many small mammals, such as rabbits, squirrels, skunks and raccoons, as well as larger mammals such as deer, and also occasional predators. It is also prime habitat for large raptors, such as osprey and bald eagle.

Perhaps by design, the park is hard to access. This is a State Natural Area and not a State Park. To reach the park, visitors must go over a one-lane bridge and down a gravel road, and other than rudimentary restrooms, there are no facilities. While this might make visiting a bit more difficult, it also means that being able to enjoy nature and solitude is much easier.

The Luckiamute Landing State Natural Area is also interesting because it is more unique than it should be. As I mentioned about the William L Finley National Wildlife Refuge, despite Oregon's biodiversity and environmental consciousness, there are fewer natural areas along the Willamette River than someone might expect. Between Willamette Missions State Park north of Salem, and Jasper State Recreational Area south of Eugene, Luckiamute Landing is currently the only State Park (or Natural Area) currently operating. And it is one of the few areas where a large part of the natural habitat of the Willamette floodplain is preserved.


https://stateparks.oregon.gov/index.cfm?do=park.profile&parkId=192