Punk is not listening to Avril Lavigne, Blink 182, or even The Vines.

Punk is not dressing in pants slightly less baggy than the rapper's, but slightly more baggy than the preppie's. Or having one of those shorter, fatter "mohawks" that is somewhat more manageable than its predecessor.

Punk is not even listening to The Clash, Television, The Stranglers, The Ramones, The Dead Kennedys, Operation Ivy, or even the most obscure band from Pittsburgh that no one else in your school has ever heard of.

Punk is not dressing as if you forgot is wasn't London, the year was 1978, and you were a lower middle class hooligan, whose mother worked in a meat-packing plant, and whose father was an alcoholic.

Punk is not a style, a culture, or a scene. Punk is a state of mind. It is something that comes from inside of you, that you own. And it doesn't matter if other people see it when they look at you, because it isn't about what other people think.

Punk is independence. Anger. Passion.

Punk is having balls. It's integrity, and principles. It's not making excuses for who you are, what you do, and what you think.

Punk is not being intimidated by strangers. It's a disdain for social pleasantries, posturing, and small talk. It's bare, unforgiving honesty. It's cynicism and it's enthusiasm.

Punk is not about constantly trying to be cool.

Punk is about not giving a shit if you make a total ass of yourself.

Punk is not being afraid to live.