Somewhat hip and trendy, Burlington has become a bit of a hot-spot for twentysomethings of the northeast. This may be due to the lack of any community of younger people anywhere else in this very rural state.

It's also one of the best places to live if you're gay, according to some articles in various gay magazines.

Places to see:
Church Street. The center of commerce, with trendy coffeeshops, tattoo/piercing studios, and alternative clothing stores. Probably the only place in the state where you'll find street performers. Also a good place to start if you're trying to score weed.
The Waterfront. Though a site of industrial decay for years, the city has recently developed a section of the Lake Champlain waterfront into a park, and built a science center (which you can probably pass up without missing anything.) Many concerts and other events are held in the park.
Lake Champlain Ferries. From the waterfront, you can take ferries around the lake, or even into New York state. Interesting if you like water but hate sailing, I suppose.
Shelburne Museum. Not exactly in Burlington, the Museum's a good place to go if you're hankerin' to see what Vermont was like before computers and television. At least it reminds the residents of the state that it could actually be more boring.