Quotes by Senator Barry Goldwater, Republican presidential candidate in 1964 with the slogan, "In Your Heart You Know He's Right" the Democrats' response? "In Your Guts You Know He's Nuts." He lost.

"I don't think there was any Reagan revolution. This country is based, its economy is based, on free enterprise. The government's based on a constitutional democracy. And all Reagan did was to continue what Harry Truman did and George Washington started."

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

"I have the unmitigated gall to think that I could lead men anywhere, business, politics or combat."

"Nations do not arm for war. They arm to keep themselves from war."

"No Republican could have beaten Johnson."

"Religious factions will go on imposing their will on others unless the decent people connected to them recognize that religion has no place in public policy. They must learn to make their views known without trying to make their views the only alternatives."

"This is a hell of a government, and this country's lived through a lot of bad things. It's lived through some presidents that weren't quite up to par, and it's lived through some conditions that you and I can remember that weren't good, but we've lived through them."

"I think some highly secret government UFO investigations are going on that we don't know about--and probably never will unless the Air Force discloses them."

On Sen. Jesse Helms: ". . . off his rocker."

On Newt Gingrich: ". . .talks to much."

To Sen. Ted Stevens: "You little bastard!"

To Sen. Al D'Amato: "You're out of your head!"

On Bob Dole: "[H]e doesn't have the leadership qualities that his job as GOP minority leader requires. He tries to make everybody happy."

"Reelection is the curse of Washington. For too many senators, running for office has become a full-time job."

"Congressional reform can begin only when Congress recognizes that most of the country's problems cannot be solved by the Federal Government. It has to start believing that achievement lies not in the production of more and more legislation but in quality government."

"I was notorious for two habits - a clean desktop and regularly eating a cheeseburger supreme on that same desk for fifteen years. The trick was to make them compatible."

"There is too wide and complex a range of opinion for us to reach a national consensus on issues of morality."

"Let us get big business out of government and vice versa."

"I believe in faith, hope, and charity. But none of these is possible without freedom."

Sources:
http://www.connect.net/mattvest/govtqts.htm
http://www.spintechmag.com/9806/oneman.htm
http://www.azstarnet.com/~rgrogan/bg.html
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:www.quotearchive.com/Barry_Goldwater.htm+Barry+Goldwater+Quotes&hl=en