Life never ceases to surprise me.

How can a week filled with such drama and turmoil spawn such a beautiful day? The cold rain is drizzling, but I feel joyful, because today I found parts of myself that lay dormant for over twenty years. Today in class, I reached inside during an emotional recall exercise and found a reserve of hope and strength that I had forgotten.

Today I knew that I could become Creon in the upcoming production of Antigone and do him justice. Today I saw Antigone glittering in Melanie's eyes and knew she was born to play this role. That revelation came while shivering inside a stadium blanket outside her dorm building, waiting for electricity from my engine to revive hers.

We give and take energy every day, in so many ways, from our friends and enemies. For a moment, I was aware of the exchange, and felt something spark. I think I'm going to run to the mall and buy Mel an Ani DiFranco cd before tonight's show. Our professor is disgusted with Kentucky Wesleyan College and its blatant disregard for the arts, and we're pulling out all the stops with Antigone. She mentioned using Ani's 'Napoleon' and 'Untouchable Face' and 'Both Hands' as preshow music for Antigone. I pointed out the questionable lyrics, and after a beat we laughed and exclaimed, "Screw 'em if they can't cope!" We're through limiting ourselves, holding back and playing to the Victorian sensibilities of this backwards suburban hellhole!