Antibiotics: An Overused Remedy

For about 50 years, antibiotics have been the answer to many, if not all, bacterial infections. Doctors prescribed antibiotic medicines to cure many diseases, eliminate infection and shorten healing time. But within the bodies of patients receiving those prescriptions, not all of the targeted bacteria died. Resistant strains survived, proliferated and a new resistant generation was born. People may believe that modern medical science will always have the solution, yet with each decade, bacteria that are resistant to not one, but multiple antibiotics are selected for in the breeding ground of the human body. A plan for action must be created to prevent the advent of super bugs that are resistant to anything and everything.

Resistance to antibiotics can be the result of several things: One is the overuse or improper use of antibiotic agents. Unfortunately, many people believe that when they get sick, antibiotics are the answer. The more a drug is used, the less effect it has on the bacteria it was designed to kill.

Another cause of resistance is the improper use of prescription and over the counter drugs. Some patients feel that their symptoms have improved, and then discontinue use of the drug. But not finishing the prescription may allow some bacteria to survive and be immune to a second dose. Prescribed drugs should be taken until all the medicine is gone so the disease is completely eliminated. After the prescription is finished, your body’s immune system can eliminate any remaining bacteria.

Bacteria are also capable of picking up resistance traits from free-floating DNA. If the DNA is from a species of bacteria that has developed resistance, like certain types that have always lived near penicillin. Those resistant bacteria die, and their DNA remains intact. When DNA enters a single bacterium, it moves to the nucleus where it may be incorporated into the next generation of offspring from that cell.

Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin in 1928. While growing bacteria colonies, he noticed clear spots in the cultures. He realized that a fungus growth had killed off bacteria in his experiment. Penicillin works by attaching to a cell wall and breaking it down until the bacterium breaks up. It was to be the most prolific antibiotic ever.

Penicillin was hailed as a miracle drug. Drug companies mass produced it, but a few years later doctors noticed the first signs of resistance developing. Staphylococcus aureus was the first to be documented, and many would follow.

Antibiotic resistance spreads fast through careless use of antibiotics but efforts are being made to slow it. Improving infection control, isolation of hospital infections, the development of new antibiotics, and taking drugs more appropriately are ways to prevent resistant bacteria from spreading. In developing nations, approaches are being made to control infections such as mandating hand washing by health care workers and identifying drug resistant infections quickly to keep them away from others. Already, the World Health Organization has begun a global computer program that reports any outbreaks of drug-resistant bacterial infections.

Doctors, patients, and governments must cooperate and work together to create an environment of education, research and proper use. When that happens, further development in the fight against resistance may take place.

Bibliography

Bylinsky, Gene. Sept. 5,1995. The new fight against killer microbes. Fortune. p. 74-76.

Dixon, Bernard. March 17,1995. Return of the killer bugs. New Statesman & Society. p. 29-32.

Levy, Stuart B. Jan. 15,1995. Dawn of the post-antibiotic era? Patient Care. p. 84-86.

Lewis, Ricki. Sept. 1995. The rise of antibiotic-resistant infections. FDA Consumer. p. 11-15.

Miller, Julie Ann. June 1995. Preparing for the postantibiotic era. BioScience.