To quote an Anonymous Coward from Slashdot (November 06, @04:01PM EST):

I always provide BOGUS information on all registration forms. Look at my copy of win98, on the 'about' box it says "This software is registered to: The Public Domain". Hey! They gave me a fill in the blank SW license. This is like an already signed blank check so I filled in the name with 'the public domain'. Other software is registered to "Nobody", "Unknown User", "John Doe", and "The Bearer". And yeah, my purchase role is 'final decision' on all purchases for my company of 500,000 employees. Wheee!! And I buy over $1e6 worht of computer products every year. Oh and if they want addresses and phone numbers and email, I plug in the company's own street address, phone number, and sales@, or info@, webmaster@, or root@ at the comapnies own domain name. This isn't a court of law or legal proceeding here so there's no penalty of perjury for lying. I happily make up all sorts of stuff! And if my lies fsck up the co's statistics then that's too fscking bad. Do I have a 'right to privacy'? No, but by that same token, companies have no 'right to collect accurate marketing information about me.' Works both ways, ya know.

In short, bogus registration information is established as an important act of consumer disobedience against the unending quest by marketing weasels to profile you. This is encouraged by corporate monkeys for the sake of their bottom line.

See also: DoubleClick Master Database, opt-out.