If there is anything that should be in a day log, it's whats going on in the world. So for now on, I'll be keeping the top headlines from around the world here. If there are any sources I'm not using that you recommend, please /msg me. Do you know an english language paper in South America, Eastern Europe, Africa, or Asia that updates daily? Let me know please.

Today is a light news day, as half my sources seem to not be updating.

Without further ado, here is today's top news from around the world:

The BBC's Top Headlines:

  • Mosque ready to welcome Pope
    Pope John Paul II holds a mass in Damascus for thousands of Syrian Christians, ahead of his historic visit to a mosque.
  • Israel rejects settlement slowdown
    As fighting flares on the West Bank, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon rejects a key recommendation by a US-led commission.
  • Space tourist touches down
    Looking tired and pale, the world's first space tourist Dennis Tito returns to Earth after what he called a "trip to paradise".
  • Arroyo lifts emergency rule
    Philippine President Arroyo says the state of rebellion, imposed after last week's violence, will end at midnight local time (1600 GMT).
  • Seven killed in Ukraine mine blast
    A methane gas explosion rips through a coal mine in eastern Ukraine, the latest mishap for the country's notoriously dangerous mining industry.
  • Fraud claim in Senegal's elections
    A Senegalese opposition party asks for some results from last week's elections to be annulled because of "massive fraud".
  • Slow body count in Congolese sinking
    Congolese divers struggle to recover the bodies of up to 70 people feared dead after they were trapped in a ferry that capsized.
  • Hollywood looks to actors' unions
    Hollywood producers will turn their attention to actors' unions after agreeing a deal to avert a potentially crippling writers' strike.
  • Monarchos lands Kentucky Derby
    A bumper crowd of more than 150,000 see Monarchos clock the second fastest-ever time in America's biggest horserace.
  • Hong Kong bars Falun Gong members
    Two American followers of the Falun Gong spiritual movement are to be deported from Hong Kong ahead of a visit by the Chinese president.
  • Manila blast 'injures 30'
    About 30 people have been injured in an explosion at a crowded shopping mall in the Philippines, reports say.
  • Macedonia at odds on 'war declaration'
    President and prime minister appear divided on whether to declare a 'state of war' in the fight against ethnic Albanian rebels.
  • Serbs block Bosnia mosque ceremony
    Serb nationalists in Bosnia-Hercegovina block an attempt to start rebuilding a mosque destroyed during the civil war.
  • Bomb blast in Tel Aviv suburb
    A bomb explodes in a Tel Aviv suburb during the rush hour, lightly injuring a woman, Israeli police say.
  • Iran hardliners blamed for blast
    Iran pulls its diplomats out of the Afghan city of Herat as accusations fly over the killing of 10 people in a bomb attack outside a mosque.
  • Afghan refugees offered hope
    UN refugee chief Ruud Lubbers tells Afghans living in a makeshift camp in Pakistan that he will work to improve their situation.
  • Ranatunga silent on match-fixing
    Former Sri Lankan skipper Arjuna Ranatunga refuses to answer questions by International Cricket Council investigators.

The New York Times' Top Headlines

  • U.S. Scientists See Big Power Savings From Conservation
    Scientists at the country's national laboratories say that enormous amounts of energy can be saved if the government actively promotes conservation.
  • At Home, Mexico Mistreats Its Migrant Farmhands
    As the Mexican government presses to improve conditions for Mexican laborers in the United States, many say the plight of migrant workers in Mexico remains unheard.
  • Opening U.S. Sugar Program Is Free Trade's Final Frontier
    Both refiners and consumer groups are criticizing the government's sugar program, which has led to high prices and overproduction.
  • Cameras Are Being Turned on a Once-Shy Spy Agency
    The C.I.A. is now working with film makers, television producers and writers, in an effort to get out what it calls the truth about the agency.
  • For Chinese, Bliss Is Eternity in a Suburban Grave
    In a reminder that demographics can shift for the dead as well as the living, thousands of Chinese families across the nation are searching for a better future for themselves than the crowded inner-city cemeteries where they have long buried their dead.
  • On a Diplomatic Mission, the Pope Begins Visit to Syria
    President Bashar al-Assad of Syria welcomed Pope John Paul II upon his arrival in Damascus as the first pontiff to visit Syria.
  • Monarchos Sweeps to Derby Victory
    Monarchos romped to a four-and-three- quarter-length victory over Invisible Ink to record the second-fastest time, 1:59.97, in the history of the Kentucky Derby.
  • In Israel, Panel Urges Settlement Freeze and an End to Terror
    An international committee has called for an Israeli freeze on settlements and a Palestinian crackdown on terrorism as a prelude to the resumption of peace talks.
  • Poor Region's Governors in Colombia Unite to Oppose Drug Plan
    Six governors have organized into a formidable political bloc that has harshly criticized Colombia's central government on a wide range of issues.
  • Right Moment Awaits President-to-Be in Indonesia
    The Indonesian presidency seems to be hers for the taking, but nobody knows if Vice President Megawati Sukarnoputri really wants it.
  • To Weather Recession, Argentines Revert to Barter
    As Argentina muddles through a recession with no end in sight, bartering is making a comeback as an improbable safety net for a forlorn middle class.

Asia Daily' Top Headlines

  • Lankan HC takes up programmes to mark Vesak
    Buddhist monks in Colombo, Sri Lanka, to celebrate the birth, enlightenment and passing away of Lord Buddha. Traditional Buddhist cultural programmes will be presented in the evening, including Buddhist devotional songs and a display of Vesak lanterns.
  • Executions rise to 500 in China
    At least 500 people have been executed in the first month of China's "strike hard" campaign against organised crime. Meanwhile, the London-based human rights group, Amnesty International, has condemned the crackdown for its political overtones. Each year, China executes more people than the rest of the world combined.
  • Bangladeshi Intrusion Jolted India
    Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee said Saturday that an armed intrusion by Bangladeshi troops across the country's northeastern frontier last month caught his government by surprise.
  • China Gets First 5 of 7 Gold Medals
    China has swept the first five of seven gold medals at the World Table Tennis Championships, the latest two on Saturday in the women's singles and men's doubles.
  • China Press Revels in U.S. Loss
    Chinese state media and pro-government experts on Saturday hailed the loss of the United States' seat on the top U.N. human rights body as a rejection of U.S. attempts to bully other nations.